How to pay for toll roads in Australia
In Australia, all toll roads are electronically tolled. There are no cash toll booths. If you use a toll road, you are responsible for paying the toll road fee. You can easily do so by registering for a pass within 3 days of travelling on the toll road.
To make things super easy, we have created a toll road cheat sheet. Please download this PDF (255 kb) and save it to your smartphone or tablet. It contains the same info as on this page.
Toll roads & toll road passes
Set up a toll pass for each state you are travelling through. Passes need to be set up latest 24-72 hours after using a toll road, depending on the state.
You will need to set up a temporary account for each state. It`s very important to enter correct start and end time and date as the toll road company is only allowed to charge your credit card within those time frames. E.g. if you use a toll road at 10 am, but you your pass starts at 11 am they won`t be able to charge it to your credit card and will send us a letter of infringement.
How to pay for your toll roads?
Please do not buy an e-tag as they are for private vehicles, not rental cars.
You will have to set up a temporary toll road pass for each state your travelling through if you would like to use the toll roads.
- Queensland (all toll roads): 1 to 30-day pass aka the Linkt Road Pass. It covers travel on all Brisbane toll roads for up to 30 days. Get LINKT road pass now.
- New South Wales (all toll roads): 1 to 30-day pass aka the eMU Pass. Get the eMU pass online or call 131 865. LINKT Sydney can only be set up before you use the toll road.
- Victoria (all toll roads, East link and City Link): 1 to 30-days pass aka the Melbourne Pass. Get the Melbourne pass today.
If you don’t have an address in Australia
Please use Spaceships Sydney address: Unit 1 / 1545 Botany Road, Botany, NSW 2019.
Setting up a pass over the phone
For example for Brisbane... Please call 13 33 31.
- Press Option 1. For Brisbane
- Don’t press #, only press it if you chose the incorrect city; just wait for a couple of minutes they give quite a few information
- Press Option 4. And ask for a toll pass (they will transfer you to a call operator)
Words of advice
Failure to correctly register and pay for your toll road usage within 3 days of travel will result in a toll infringement being issued. We reserve the right to charge you for any infringement and unpaid toll notices incurred during your possession of the Vehicle. You also agree to pay administration costs of $30 per
infringement and unpaid toll notice.
Take care when registering for your pass that details are correct, as an error will result in infringements being issued and associated fees applied. Some tips to help avoid errors.
- Check that the pass you are purchasing covers travel on the toll road that you have used. For example, the LINKT Brisbane Road pass covers toll road usage in Brisbane, but not Sydney.
- Check that the vehicle license and state of registration details match your vehicle (Spaceship vehicles are registered in either the state of QLD or NSW. Check against your vehicle to confirm). Avoid spaces and hyphens.
- You must register for a pass within 3 days of driving on the toll road. Your pass start date should be the date that you drove through your first toll point. Selecting a start date on the calendar which is more than 3 days earlier will cause an error.
- The pass start and end date and time should adequately cover the period in which you travel on toll roads.
- Funds must be available on the credit card that you have registered
- Note that your toll road usage is not immediately visible in the system of the toll operator/pass provider. If you have driven on a toll road, it is essential that you register for a pass.